Today is Hunger Action Day, a day where efforts across the country are focused for greater hunger-fighting impact. It’s part of Hunger Action Month, a time when people all over America stand against hunger. Sharing, fundraising, and donating are just a few ideas for taking action this month here in Utah.
All month long, we’re honoring Hunger Action Month with a special match. This is a month dedicated to helping families, many of whom are only one disaster away from hunger, like what happened in much of Utah earlier this week. If you donate before September 30, you can help twice as many families with a single caring gift. To make donations even more impactful and to celebrate Hunger Action Day, we are excited to announce a Donation Match up to $10,000!
Usually, every dollar donated to Utah Food Bank creates $7.66 worth of goods and services. Right now, thanks to an anonymous donor, your dollars can go even further. With COVID-19 creating an estimated additional 165,000 Utahns facing food insecurity, bringing the total number of our neighbors in need up to 510,590, now is the time to take action.
With the support of our donors, we have been able to step up to meet the increased demand. In the past six months you have helped us to:
- Distribute 31 million pounds of food, a 6.6-million-pound increase over the same time last year
- Distribute 70,000 meals to feed children when schools closed
- Serve 211% more households through our Mobile Pantry program than we did during the same time last year
- Expand our Mobile Pantry distribution sites by 49%
- Host our largest 1-time distribution ever (Maverik Center) with 5,000 cars served (29,000 individuals)
- During June and July, with the addition of our Summer Feeding Program, serve 165,000 children’s meals
The need for food assistance will continue to be great, as many families struggle to bounce back. With so many Utahns living paycheck to paycheck, it only takes one setback to create a crisis. Between business closings, lengthy school closings, and a surge in unemployment filings, COVID-19 was the catalyst for many Utahns to need our help, some for the first time.
With your support, we can continue to meet this growing need. You can help now by donating as part of this donation match and by sharing this post with your friends and family on social media!